BARE BODKIN.

befuddlement, bewilderment, bemusement, b+ average

Thursday, September 29, 2005

And now for something completely different

I’ve so oft wanted to see Europe, to witness for myself the aged, foundational buildings of western society, and not at the second oldest university in England, I find myself more speechless than inspired, which is likely the same thing when all is said and done.

I’m sitting under a tree, under the clouds, within reach of a sharp breeze, about fifty feet or so from the River Thames. I feel like some kind of Cheshire cat in this striped sweater. The water is smooth and silent, the grass and trees are dimly green, and the geese seem to be enjoying the waterfront view. Rain looks to be imminent; I’ve learned, however, that the rain comes and goes cloud by cloud, without the sky ever making a real commitment. It’s sort of like a la carte rain, piece by piece. This tree, of course, will protect me from any impetuous showers, for a time, until the leaves become sopping wet with obese drops of fresh water, at which point the tree will rain on me regardless of the skies contemporaneous desires.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/29/2005 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like the phrase "a la carte rain". it is very creative.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home